Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Season of Spring



Spring delivers new grass in a plethora of shades of green that grow all around us. Even dandelion leaves have their own green color. Tree leaves from the palest to the deepest green grow and their spectrum spreads concealing the limbs that support them.


New life and new beginnings come hand in hand for me.

After my spinal cord injury, my neurosurgeon said I would be bedridden, brain damaged, and ventilator dependent. He then offered my husband a way to let me die comfortably.

While in rehabilitation that spring, I watched treetops bud out and new green leaves burst forth through my second floor window. I received them as a word from God that I would not only live through the injury but I would have a new life.

My new life could not be without Jesus and it didn’t happen quickly. I suffered through guilt, fear, depression, and a gamut of emotional distress before accepting what God had to offer me.

I am C-4 complete quadriplegic. Paralyzed from my shoulders down, God has blessed me with some use of my arms. I wear a splint on my right wrist which holds different tools and gives me some independence in daily living. I use a power wheelchair and have a conversion van.

God calls me daily to be a witness for him. Whether in church, at a mall, or eating in a restaurant, I testify to people. I show my faith by how I dress, how I speak, and how I act. I talk about what Jesus has done for me daily with old friends and new.

I share my testimony to share the new life God gave me when I accepted Jesus and the new life God provided and I accepted after my injury.

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV)

In Christ,
Berta

Scroll down to Leave a Comment
Please Share
Image courtesy of freeimages.com

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Berta! Why don't you start submitting to Upper Room and other devotionals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,

      Thank you. I do submit to the Upper Room and have been "held" but never published. I haven't taken time to check out many others.

      I'm editing for an eBook of devotions. My memoir is coming along. You would be pleased of the writing.

      Berta

      Delete
  2. How uplifting and refreshing...just what I needed!!! So glad to hear that you're writing your memoir!! Wow!! I know it will be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to more writings from you. Hope and pray that all is going well. Blessings to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw on LinkedIn of Berta's passing. So sad to hear this. I loved her writings. I wonder how far she got in her memoir. Would love to read any of it!! Stay strong in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rough draft is complete. Chapter one is available at: http://www.concord.church/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Chapter-1.-A-Faithful-Father.pdf

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing this!!! Have a Blessed day!!

      Delete