Monday, November 18, 2013

Charity Begins In Your Heart





As a young girl, I wore my strawberry-blonde hair long and if I had any pride, it was in my hair. I had it cut to shoulder length when I was ten years old and disliked it so much I knew I’d never cut it short again.

Time passed and at twenty-three, I had it cut again—even shorter. I began having it permed in the 80’s and combed it with a pick to make.it BIG. Short, big hair continued through my accident and for a few years after. Having random nurse’s aides “pick out” my hair was frustrating.

In 1996, Earl and I decided to let it grow out. It grew quickly and the young women who took care of me then couldn’t satisfy me either. I considered cutting it off.

Then I heard about donating hair for wigs for children who had lost their hair through cancer treatment. I called 
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis and asked for information about Locks of Love. They wanted ten inches and I almost had enough.

Still, I hesitated. People often told me how pretty my hair was and I liked receiving compliments.

Shortly after the Columbine shooting in 1999 I attended a service at a local Baptist church where the pastor told that one of the girls killed was growing her hair out for Locks of Love. I cried over my pride and selfishness.

Having been dependent on others so long, this act of giving my hair helped me focus outward. To be able to do something for another person on my own was the beginning of loving my neighbor for me.

I’ve donated my hair three times and several people were inspired to give their hair after reading my story in the local paper. I will continue in charitable contributions whenever and wherever I’m able.

Charity comes in many sizes and various locations. Be an inspiration.

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:36-39 NIV). 


In Christ,
 
Berta

No comments:

Post a Comment