Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dirty Water


McGee Creek flowed a quarter of a mile from our bus home. My sisters and I carried water by the bucketful to supply our little homestead.

The creek’s appearance changed often. Calm weather meant nearly clear water. If it rained north of us, the water would be brown with thick yellow froth. The pesticides and herbicides from our neighbor’s fields washed into our only source of water.

Our full water buckets sometimes stood a few hours as we waited for the sediment to settle and could skim the oil from the tops. When we could see sand, small pebbles and even tiny shells lying in the bottom, we declared the water safe.

My family’s life depended on that water. We assumed it was clean because it was clear. Looking back, the poisons I ingested daily for nearly a year have never made me ill.

I have questioned my survival from many situations in my life. I believe there is only one answer to my survival. God was active in my life from the beginning.

God had a plan for me. His power protected my mind and my body from the harmful toxins in McGee Creek.

I continue to see God in my daily life. He is with me when I meet a new friend. He holds me when I hurt and laughs with me in joy. Every encouraging word or prayer spoken comes through nail-scarred hands.

“Can clean water and dirty water both flow from the same spring?” (James 3:11 CEV)

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations” (Jerimiah 1:5 NIV).

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1 NIV).

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13 NIV).

In Christ,
Berta

Friends, please remember to share this devotion? People are being touched around the world for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment