Sunday, August 17, 2014

Trauma and God’s Patience


Paul on the Damascus Road by Joseph Richardson

Before my injury, I couldn’t see through all my nursing degrees, certificates and clinical experiences to see God’s new calling in my life. I had a desire for more of Him and His word but couldn’t believe He could love me enough to care about me.

God allowed the accident in 1991 that took away my ability to be a nurse. I became a focused minister to His people. I ate more and more at His table.

Personal Bible reading often left me with more questions than answers. I took my questions to small group Bible studies and learned more about the Truth.

Making the transition from physically active RN to quadriplegic minister was wrought through trauma in my life, and God’s patience.

Saul of Tarsus, a Pharisee of Pharisees, knew the Hebrew Bible. Every time he persecuted a Christian, he thought he was fighting the enemy of God.

One day, on the Damascus road, The Christ, the One whom Saul had persecuted, blinded him. Jesus said, “Saul, Saul, why do you kick against the goads?” (Acts 26:14)

Trauma. And God’s patience.

I’ve learned that like Paul, my pre-trauma focus wasn’t what I truly wanted to be doing. Though I hurt no one physically as I cared for sick and injured patients, I didn’t share the hope of the Great Physician.

“What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus, my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.” (Philippians 3:8 NIV).

In Christ,
Berta

Friends, Remember to share with your friends. People are being blessed around the world for God. I am so thankful to be a broken vessel in the hands of a loving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment